Sunday, October 13, 2013

Concluding IEM Blog: Barriers, Challenges and the New Beginning!



Hello mates! I wish you all well.

It has been three months now since we first explored the fascinating world of IEM. Together, we tried to make a deeper connection and outlook of what IEM can give us. And I think it is just appropriate that we make a reflection or evaluation of what we have done and accomplished.

With our postings, we were able to know what IEM is all about, clothing it with our own definition, providing and interpreting its framework, and understanding its concepts and applications. With these articles we were able to grasp a good understanding of the somehow challenging nature of IEM. We were able to simplify how we can potentially achieve a more integrated approach to environmental management through better problem definition, development of criteria and providing ideas to implement it as outlined on the various activities that we have cited as example. 

I was a bit sad however that as much as I wanted to make this blog more interactive, I got zero responds from you (I remember I even campaign for my blog at facebook). Thus, I asked, why aren’t I receiving any feedbacks? Does that mean am doing a good job? Or no one does really cares about IEM or my blog for that matter? Well, I wish it is the former! I admit however that there are a lot of barriers with regards to IEM. Indeed, it is difficult or almost impossible to achieve a complete integration with regards to the complex nature of the environment. May be our knowledge of the environment is not sufficient enough, some more things is yet to be discover and consider. Or maybe there are more important things, something that weighs more than the environment, perhaps like economic development or social progress. Politics may also affect its implementation and realisation. But do we just have to stop pursuing it? Is it really impossible? If not, what can we do to hasten its application?

I was able to read articles of past bloggers of IEM and they are making the same observations, that IEM is not a favourite search topic. Hence, fewer people come to visit their blogs. I am puzzled, why not? Everyone is talking about climate change, ocean pollution, deforestation and energy crisis? Haven’t they thought that IEM can help change the picture to a better, more holistic and comprehensive approach to solve environmental problems? I was looking on how can we effectively promote IEM as a tool for addressing these problems. Do we need to invest more for intensive infomercials in TV, internet and other media? How about in the academe, can we make programs that incorporate IEM by at least introducing its concept and importance? It will be such an expensive and laborious actions though. However, I find that the challenge belongs in each one of us. Keep IEM in our heart and practice it as much as we can. The fact that we do care for the environment may potentially create a venue for better application of IEM. Thus, get out and spread the IEM goodwill.

May be we need some more time to make our dreams of IEM into a reality. But what is important is we start to do things in the IEM way. It doesn’t matter whether we achieved little at the moment. It may not be easy as I always say, but who knows? Keeping my fingers crossed a new beginning will pave the way for IEM! I am quite sure you are in agreement with me.

 
Before I end this article, I wanted to thank you all for being with me. This will be my last post for the moment as I completed the required articles for my paper. However, do expect me to continue writing on this blog. So please stay with me as we walk towards the new beginning! Again, thank you very much mates for making my very first blogging experience worth doing and remembering.


No comments:

Post a Comment